The Fun Fair
Arnolds Fun Fair came to the Island for August, with 3 big traction engines, brought on the barges towed by the tug Jumsey.
The Jumsey towed the wooden barges to the Quay and the biggest traction engine, the ‘Island Chief’ was the first off, and parked in front of the Harbour master and Customs Office ( which is now the Lifeboat shop). Big wedges of wood were put under the back wheels and a hawser was hitched to the wagons. One by one they were pulled out of the tow barges by the Island Chief. When all were out on dry land, Mr Arnold drove the traction engine and three wagons up Quay Street, across the Square and up the High Street.
The other engines and wagons and lorries would follow, causing all sorts of disruption in the High Street, which was the only road in and out of Yarmouth.
When the Funfair set up in Yarmouth, it was on the Recreation Ground which was given for the children of Yarmouth. There would be gallopers, chairplanes, dodgems and swing boats; proper coconut shies and all kinds of stalls. It cost 1d in the afternoon, 3d in the evening. Eileen Smith nee Lansdowne b 1921